The 2020 BMW i8 seemingly has all of the prerequisites for supercar status. It has funky flip-up doors that are hard to operate. It's made from carbon fiber. Inside, you'll find high-end materials everywhere, with an options list that includes materials such as ivory white perforated leather. Heck, you can even get the i8 with lasers for headlights. But there's one aspect that's very different from most of the supercars on sale today: The i8 is a hybrid.
Rather than using a supercharged V8 or a sonorous V12, the BMW i8 is powered by a turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine, paired with an electric motor and an 11.6-kWh battery, all hooked up to all-wheel drive. That's right, the i8 is a plug-in hybrid. It puts out 369 horsepower with that hybrid powertrain, which makes it relatively quick, and it has an EPA-estimated 18 miles of all-electric range.
Since the i8 is only available in a single trim level, your choices are limited. You can go with the coupe or convertible depending on your taste, and there are several interior packages and a few choices for wheels to choose from — otherwise, most of the selection is done for you.
BMW i8 models
The 2020 BMW i8 is available in a single trim level offered as either a coupe or a soft-top convertible. The i8 Coupe features 2+2 seating, while the i8 Roadster subs out the seats in exchange for the roof mechanism. Both models use the same plug-in hybrid powertrain that produces a combined 369 horsepower. A turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine and a six-speed automatic transmission power the rear wheels, and an electric motor drives the front wheels through a two-speed automatic transmission.
Standard features include:
- Driver-adjustable suspension and 20-inch wheels
- Automatic headlights and full LED exterior lighting
- Surround-view parking system with front and rear parking sensors
- Leather upholstery and power-adjustable front seats
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
Tech features include:
- BMW's iDrive infotainment system with navigation and an 8.8-inch screen
- Head-up driver display
- Satellite and HD radio, Apple CarPlay, and BMW apps
- Harman Kardon stereo
- Unique upholstery and interior trim packages
- Laser and LED headlights
- Unique bi-color alloy wheels
Our experts’ favorite i8 safety features:
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Lets you know about traffic and parking spots and, in case of accidents, can connect you to BMW's Accident Assistance for vehicle support.
- BMW Laserlight
- Helps drivers see farther down dark roads with advanced laser projection technology.
- Active Driving Assistant
- Warns of potential front collisions with vehicles or pedestrians and if the i8 is about to leave its lane.